Suggestion Shortlinking to Forums in Chat

Discussion in 'Server Suggestions' started by 144, Apr 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 144

144 Well-Known Member

Bit of an explain here, so bear with me. Similar general idea to username tagging.

I think that players should be able to link to CF forums in any chat channel (except for advertising) using a shortened format. For example:

[G] Player1 > I'm running for president, check this thread ft:44484 for more details.

[L] Player2 > why was i muted for 1 week?
    [L] [Moderator] Moderator1 > @Player2 you can view the report against you here ft:52693

How does it work?

Every forum thread has a numerical ID at the end of the URL, for example this one is:

https://creative-fun.net/threads/shortlinking-to-forums-in-chat.52855/ (52855)

So, to link to this thread in chat I'd type something like this:

[G] Player3 > check out my awesome suggestion! ft:52855

Clicking on the number would link directly to that thread (try all of the links!). The title of the thread isn't needed in the URL, in fact all that is needed is the ID:

https://creative-fun.net/threads/shortlinking-to-forums-in-chat.52855/ (original link)
    https://creative-fun.net/threads/52855/ (the link still works without the title of the thread)
    https://creative-fun.net/threads/144-chatmod-application.52855/ (in fact, it works with any text)

Individual posts and entire forum sections also have numerical IDs:

[G] Player1 > how do I report someone for griefing?
    [G] Player2 > here's the report section ff:8
    [G] Player2 > make sure to follow the format ft:10

[G] Player1 > Monis added an advertising channel: fp:291610

The exact letters used would be:
    • ft for threads
    • fp for posts
    • ff for individual forums
    I can imagine this being useful in linking to reports, suggestions, etc without using up large amounts of characters.

It also has the potential, depending on usage, to boost awareness of the forums and forum membership.

It's definitely not convenient (or nice looking) putting an entire link into chat so I reckon this will make it easier.

#1 144, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  2. ShinyxSylveon

ShinyxSylveon Well-Known Member

OMG YES
    This would be perfect for CF to add in!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Scrael

Scrael Well-Known Member

I think this would be very useful. and staff members could also link specific reports in mute messages in order to keep things orderly (but that might be too much effort to be worth it)
    And while I think you should input the links in the manner you suggest, it should display just the type of link it is, so if you linked a Forum you'd do ff:8 and it would simply display as "Forum" in chat, and the same thing with Forum Thread and Forum Post, I just think that would make it look more orderly

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 144

144 Well-Known Member

That might be a bit too much work, and I think it would be better for people to see the ff:8 instead (for example) so they know how to link to reports section as well without having to ask.

In other words if people see other people using the feature (and know how!) they will be more inclined to as well.

And yes on the specific messages in reports! I wasn't actually going to suggest that at this point, but I definitely had that in mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Scrael

Scrael Well-Known Member

After some thought. I agree with you on how it should be displayed.

And I guess great minds think alike?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 144

144 Well-Known Member

Sure.

7. Milecloneman

Milecloneman Member

Indeed i would like that to be implemented :3​

8. K6Y

K6Y Active Member

Cool idea. I like it.
    My only issue:
    Regular players can't view locked reports ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Nakir

Nakir Boss Lady
    Staff Management

WebMods can always unarchive them if asked. If one of us isn't online to do so for you, please direct the player to /mail us or msg us here on forums.
    But yes, in the vein of this suggestion linking to reports would only be helpful if it was yet unarchived.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SuperMonis

SuperMonis Server Owner
    Owner

Currently in progress with this feature, I'll try to give updates on progress.

• Like Like x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We're currently one of the largest creative servers available. We offer large plots, WorldEdit upon voting, roleplays, cross-server chat for communication no matter which server you're on and much more! Why not say hello to us at creativefun.eu
  • Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation

• Store

The owners and developers work very hard to make sure new features are added that will bring an enjoyable experience for all users. Support us in bringing brand new ideas and features to the server.

Visit the store