Getting denied for criticizing rp's

Reactions
17 1 0
I'm bill, a staunch critic of lab role-plays.
I'm very nit-picky about things in lab rp's.
I join lab rp's with a critique in mind.
But the sad thing is, MOST (%99.9) lab rp owners will deny you for being critical of their work.
The problem is, i WANT them to improve, and are pushing for that to happen
But most owner's perceive my critique as 'Hatefull, annoying, rude, etc'

I just want to review your thing people, not smear your rp with hate.
But if you don't accept people publicly calling you out on things, then you're not gonna improve!

Sure, there's an argument out there with 'but it's my plot i can do what i want'
I get that, but my point is, If you deny people for being critical of your work, then you're not gonna improve on your work!

Sorry if this thread seems ranty, this stuff just grinds my gears.
Have a nice day everyone.

sqoug

Reactions
140 6 0
hi there bill! i hate to be that gal, but unless there’s a specific advertisement asking for critiques- it isnt really nessecary to do it. i do understand where you’re coming from, though.
might i suggest: holding a server-wide build class? or starting a conversation where people can post their builds, and everyone can suggest and leave comments? just thinking off the top of my head.

Reactions
0 0 0
There's also a possibility that your idea can be less perceived as an insult if the wording is different..
for example, you could say "this rpg is neat, and hey, I got some great ideas for this, if you would like to hear it"

Keep in mind, a majority of lab RP owners are children, meaning that they can be more inclined to outright ban a player saying what the owner doesn't want to hear.

---

Just an idea

666Omnii

Reactions
546 17 0
Bill, having worked one building a lab rp with you, your knowledge of building techniques and how to build a successful one doesn't seem expansive enough to begin critiquing others.

nullJava

Reactions
54 0 0
I agree with bill on this one, being denied over constructive criticism is stupid, people need to learn to see it as helpful rather than an attack

blockenuii

Reactions
670 43 0
Hi bill-
I understand your frustrations however, as some people have already stated the majority of people running rps are children and have not yet learned to take Criticism well. Maybe adjust your wording and try to sound helpful rather than critiquing their work as u would say an adult who can handle it.
Just a suggestion- good luck with your rp stuff

666Omnii

Reactions
546 17 0
Hi bill-
I understand your frustrations however, as some people have already stated the majority of people running rps are children and have not yet learned to take Criticism well. Maybe adjust your wording and try to sound helpful rather than critiquing their work as u would say an adult who can handle it.
I sure do hate when people can’t take criticism and behave immaturely because of it.

blcssom

Reactions
233 6 0
I mean it really depends how you word it. Also, not everyone wants to hear feedback (not sure why really) so you could maybe ask them if they want criticism. I see where you’re coming from.

Reactions
16 0 0
hi there bill! i hate to be that gal, but unless there’s a specific advertisement asking for critiques- it isnt really nessecary to do it. i do understand where you’re coming from, though.
might i suggest: holding a server-wide build class? or starting a conversation where people can post their builds, and everyone can suggest and leave comments? just thinking off the top of my head.
you’ve just given me an idea my gal

brighhton

Chat Moderator
Reactions
433 6 1
Ngl I've been denied from a lab role-play before.

blockenuii

Reactions
670 43 0
Once I said “oh I think u broke this block by accident” and everyone was like “lol” and stuff and then they denied me xD

Reactions
56 0 0
Once I said “oh I think u broke this block by accident” and everyone was like “lol” and stuff and then they denied me xD
xD, I've built a lab role play and I love the criticism because it just makes it better and also when working on something you can just start to forget about tiny details others see and I know Bill is staff at this rp and helped me add a tiny detail that i love.

Reactions
21 5 0
I agree with bill on this one, being denied over constructive criticism is stupid, people need to learn to see it as helpful rather than an attack
Hi bill-
There's also a possibility that your idea can be less perceived as an insult if the wording is different..
for example, you could say "this rpg is neat, and hey, I got some great ideas for this, if you would like to hear it"

Keep in mind, a majority of lab RP owners are children, meaning that they can be more inclined to outright ban a player saying what the owner doesn't want to hear.

---

Just an idea
I sure do hate when people can’t take criticism and behave immaturely because of it.
I've got to disagree with you all here. If I've built something, and I'm proud of it enough to say "You know what? This is good enough for a lab RP, I'm going to advertise it" and some random guy I've never met before, to my knowledge is no better of a builder than me, comes across and critiques it, my reaction would be:
a) Who do you think you are?
b) Did I ask for you to critique my build? No? Then why are you?
c) What gives you the right to critique my build? if someone says "freedom of speech" i swear

And quite frankly, I'd deny them right off the spot. Not because I'm immature (although I still am at 16 years of age !!) but because of them questions above. If I didn't ask for criticism, then what gives them the right to give it? Forcing criticism down someone's throat is like forcing tea down someone's throat. I wish I could link the consent is like tea video, but it's about a big kid topic, and I assume that it wouldn't be allowed.

What EagleSkyGuy7 said about "... if you would like to hear it" is perfect. It's kind, opens a dialogue and gives them a chance to say yes or no to the criticism.

If the user asks for criticism, and then behaves immaturely and can't take it, that's a different story, of course.

blockenuii

Reactions
670 43 0
I've got to disagree with you all here. If I've built something, and I'm proud of it enough to say "You know what? This is good enough for a lab RP, I'm going to advertise it" and some random guy I've never met before, to my knowledge is no better of a builder than me, comes across and critiques it, my reaction would be:
c) What gives you the right to critique my build? if someone says "freedom of speech" i swear

And quite frankly, I'd deny them right off the spot. Not because I'm immature (although I still am at 16 years of age !!) but because of them questions above. If I didn't ask for criticism, then what gives them the right to give it? Forcing criticism down someone's throat is like forcing tea down someone's throat. I wish I could link the consent is like tea video, but it's about a big kid topic, and I assume that it wouldn't be allowed.

What EagleSkyGuy7 said about "... if you would like to hear it" is perfect. It's kind, opens a dialogue and gives them a chance to say yes or no to the criticism.

If the user asks for criticism, and then behaves immaturely and can't take it, that's a different story, of course.
Not tryna say “force the critism down their throats” and if they can’t handle it that their immature lol

666Omnii

Reactions
546 17 0

You make it sound like they'd create a massive paragraph and perfectly worded critique.

Realistically it'd be like, "Ths isn't very detailed, perhaps get on that", and quite frankly, if you can't take that, you're either incredibly insecure, or incredibly immature.

Reactions
21 5 0
You make it sound like they'd create a massive paragraph and perfectly worded critique.

Realistically it'd be like, "Ths isn't very detailed, perhaps get on that", and quite frankly, if you can't take that, you're either incredibly insecure, or incredibly immature.
Not tryna say “force the critism down their throats” and if they can’t handle it that their immature lol
One of my friends were visited by Bill, or someone who criticised their lab role play and they were like "Some horrible guy came and just started making fun of the role play earlier". Not "Some guy came and critiqued my role play". You guys are assuming the criticism is given in a nice way, which as far as I know, it isn't. Unless it's "Hey, I have a few ideas for your build, want to hear them?" "I think this would be cool!", which it isn't.

It's just not something you do, like say if some girl you didn't know had their makeup on in a way you thought was bad, you don't go over and say "Hey! Your makeup could be way better, try doing XYZ". If 5 people did that, the poor girl would be heart broken. She'd just put her makeup on to the best of her ability, or maybe rushed it, who knows, and then got critiqued by 5 strangers she doesn't even know. Do you get where I'm coming from now? It's the same situation in a different context: A stranger criticising you when you didn't ask for it.

I just don't think it's a nice thing to do, no one should force criticism upon someone in my opinion.

OP, if you don't want to get denied from people's plots for telling them your opinion, perhaps ask them if they want it in the first place. If they do, then give it in a nice way. If they don't, respectfully don't give it to them. You won't have a problem then.

blockenuii

Reactions
670 43 0
OP, if you don't want to get denied from people's plots for telling them your opinion, perhaps ask them if they want it in the first place. If they do, then give it in a nice way. If they don't, respectfully don't give it to them. You won't have a problem then.
I agree with you here ^^
It's just not something you do, like say if some girl you didn't know had their makeup on in a way you thought was bad, you don't go over and say "Hey! Your makeup could be way better, try doing XYZ". If 5 people did that, the poor girl would be heart broken. She'd just put her makeup on to the best of her ability, or maybe rushed it, who knows, and then got critiqued by 5 strangers she doesn't even know. Do you get where I'm coming from now? It's the same situation in a different context: A stranger criticising you when you didn't ask for it.
Minecraft and Makeup are two very very different things lol- I don’t think this was the best example but I do see where your coming from with the stranger thing.