Community Update

Schalldampfer

It imbues me with great sorrow to know that now our numbers have grown so far through the roof that...I don't know how to explain what I feel, but I know the feeling isn't exactly butterflies to the stomach.

devilkatcrybaby

I'm so happy to hear that staff are now muting for minimodding even though they were never told to and are making up rules! :D

(If you can't tell that I'm being sarcastic then I feel bad for you)

Back in December, I was active and was actually talking in the chat regularly, but never really mini-modded.
When I went to try out for being a chatmod, literally everyone who replied on it said "I never see you mini-modding". And now, mini-modding is discouraged.
I'm just feeling a little upset about that, but glad at the same time. It's about time you guys started discouraging mini-modding.

P

Poleh_

YAYA MONIS HAS FOUND A CURE WERE SAVED WE CAN FINALLY LIVE ON A SERVER WITHOUT MINIMODS SPAMMING(but still try to stop the bill nye thing)
Yeah...
There have been people known to spam the "Bill Nye" stuff and it is getting a bit annoying.

Eastiies

And people rp in global chat but now its all over the server and its getting quite annoying.
Personally, I am glad that mini-modding is discouraged but now people can say some things and do stuff that if you were mini modding then they would stop.
Everything happens for a reason, there can be faults, and virtues.
-Westies

Pupcake

And people rp in global chat but now its all over the server and its getting quite annoying.
Personally, I am glad that mini-modding is discouraged but now people can say some things and do stuff that if you were mini modding then they would stop.
Everything happens for a reason, there can be faults, and virtues.
-Westies
Again, if you read the post, it says you can /msg people to ask them to rp in local. All the times I've done it, they've stopped roleplaying in global.

It has come to our attention that mini-modding has become a source of toxicity in the community, and we are now taking steps to remove it. In this post we will be discussing why it used to be effective and good, why it is no longer helpful, what we’re doing to remove it and what you can do to help instead.

Alright, first let’s talk about the term "mini-modding" and what it means. Mini-modding, or back-seat moderating is when a normal player that takes it upon themselves to help enforce rules. Mini-modding today takes shape as warning players excessively in global instead of leaving it up to the staff, and generally comes with negative connotations and a false sense of superiority. On most servers and forums it’s recognised as negative behaviour, and the same is now happening here.

In the past, mini-modding was something necessary due to the lack of staff, and fit in well with the way staff members were picked due to the server being quite small. It was very effective, and was helpful to staff as players used to report after three strikes, resembling the kick system we used. It was a lot easier to manage back then, because there were only a few people who helped moderate chat, and it was easily controlled if people started doing things a bit wrong.

Since then, however, things have gone a bit askew. With the sheer number of players we have on the server, if one player starts mini-modding wrong, a lot of players pick up on it and eventually, it has a big impact on how people moderate. After we introduced the new /punish system, we no longer used the three strikes system, meaning players got warned but then punished immediately. This meant that at its core, mini-modding lost it’s main purpose and became very spammy and pointless. As stated, in the past, we didn't have many staff members, and it was helpful if people were reported so that they could deal with rule breakers afterwards. Now it’s a lot less beneficial when players spam the poor player who accidentally encouraged spam in the few seconds before a moderator can punish. It makes the most active players in the community seem cold, and in some cases draws a lot of attention to the actual offence, defeating the point of trying to discourage players breaking rules if everyone sees players breaking rules.

What we’re doing to change it

The main issue with today’s form of mini-modding is the excessive warning of players in global chat, as it causes spam, and makes the most active and central players in the community look cold and distant. To change this we are making the warning of players in global strongly discouraged. It will lower your chances of becoming staff, and will be considered bad behaviour in the eyes of the staff and the administration. As of now it will not be strictly against the rules, and will not earn you a mute or a ban. Things like helping players, answering questions, and reporting rule breakers are still fine and encouraged, and will continue to help your chances of becoming staff.

I would personally like to thank Eire for raising awareness of the issues addressed in this post.