Community Update

Discussion in 'Server Updates' started by SuperMonis, Jun 5, 2016.

1. SuperMonis

SuperMonis Server Owner
    Owner

[​IMG]
    It has come to our attention that mini-modding has become a source of toxicity in the community, and we are now taking steps to remove it. In this post we will be discussing why it used to be effective and good, why it is no longer helpful, what we’re doing to remove it and what you can do to help instead.

Alright, first let’s talk about the term "mini-modding" and what it means. Mini-modding, or back-seat moderating is when a normal player that takes it upon themselves to help enforce rules. Mini-modding today takes shape as warning players excessively in global instead of leaving it up to the staff, and generally comes with negative connotations and a false sense of superiority. On most servers and forums it’s recognised as negative behaviour, and the same is now happening here.

In the past, mini-modding was something necessary due to the lack of staff, and fit in well with the way staff members were picked due to the server being quite small. It was very effective, and was helpful to staff as players used to report after three strikes, resembling the kick system we used. It was a lot easier to manage back then, because there were only a few people who helped moderate chat, and it was easily controlled if people started doing things a bit wrong.

Since then, however, things have gone a bit askew. With the sheer number of players we have on the server, if one player starts mini-modding wrong, a lot of players pick up on it and eventually, it has a big impact on how people moderate. After we introduced the new /punish system, we no longer used the three strikes system, meaning players got warned but then punished immediately. This meant that at its core, mini-modding lost it’s main purpose and became very spammy and pointless. As stated, in the past, we didn't have many staff members, and it was helpful if people were reported so that they could deal with rule breakers afterwards. Now it’s a lot less beneficial when players spam the poor player who accidentally encouraged spam in the few seconds before a moderator can punish. It makes the most active players in the community seem cold, and in some cases draws a lot of attention to the actual offence, defeating the point of trying to discourage players breaking rules if everyone sees players breaking rules.

What we’re doing to change it

The main issue with today’s form of mini-modding is the excessive warning of players in global chat, as it causes spam, and makes the most active and central players in the community look cold and distant. To change this we are making the warning of players in global strongly discouraged. It will lower your chances of becoming staff, and will be considered bad behaviour in the eyes of the staff and the administration. As of now it will not be strictly against the rules, and will not earn you a mute or a ban. Things like helping players, answering questions, and reporting rule breakers are still fine and encouraged, and will continue to help your chances of becoming staff.

I would personally like to thank Eire for raising awareness of the issues addressed in this post.

• Agree x 28
    • Informative x 9
    • Like x 7
    • Winner x 4
    • Optimistic x 4
    • Useful x 2
  2. StartingOver

StartingOver Well-Known Member

I love this

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

okay then.

• Like Like x 1
  4. myprettyweeper

myprettyweeper Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks for the update.

5. dimuendont

dimuendont Well-Known Member

Yay, the mini-mod apocalypse is over! No longer you need to hide your kids and family! We found a cure, harrah!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Mervki

Mervki Well-Known Member

Alright.

7. dimuendont

dimuendont Well-Known Member

I also spotted a problem. I know people who fight over who is going to report.
    For example.
    Person: Say 934 if you wanna get heads!
    Guy1: I am going to report.
    Guy2: No, let me, then I can become a chat-mod.
    Guy1 & Guy2: *fights*
    Guy3: *Reports*
    Guy 1 and 2: Omg!

This was a joke, please don't take it seriously.
    Also, can you stay stuff like, please be polite, please be calm?
    Same with, don't double post!

8. NightmareFali

NightmareFali Well-Known Member

@Eire

Sorry in case you're tagged previously or you've seen this before, but I figured since you're credited with bringing this to attention, I figured you may want to see it.

Sorry.

9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

She knows, trust me xD

10. NightmareFali

NightmareFali Well-Known Member

Oops, now I feel bad. :c

Seriously though, I'm so glad it's discouraged now. Thanks, Monis.

11. Ley

Ley Well-Known Member

We won!
    Its over!
    The war has been waged!
    We can finally go home!
    Spread the news everyone!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. XxRainbowFanxX

XxRainbowFanxX Well-Known Member

Yaaaaaaaaaay!! We are saved

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. PopKaii

PopKaii Well-Known Member

yayaya. so happyy woot

14. ChisaDuckii

ChisaDuckii Well-Known Member

I was getting tired of the minimod spam

• Agree Agree x 7
  15. TwentyOnePhoebe

TwentyOnePhoebe Server Moderator

It does get very spammy, so thank you, it may actually help us, it will for me personally because I cant scroll up and when there's a mini-mod spam I cant catch it, personally.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. bob12345

bob12345 Member

YAYA MONIS HAS FOUND A CURE WERE SAVED WE CAN FINALLY LIVE ON A SERVER WITHOUT MINIMODS SPAMMING(but still try to stop the bill nye thing)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. alyciajasmin

alyciajasmin Website Moderator
    Server Moderator Website Moderator

They can still help us by private messaging an online staff member to alert them - it's essentially the same thing. c:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  18. TwentyOnePhoebe

TwentyOnePhoebe Server Moderator

Yeah, I agree with you. Sorry I the way I put my message came across the wrong way. c:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Eminence_

Eminence_ Well-Known Member

Ah, perhaps we'll see more chat now instead of it being flushed out. Thanks, Eire, and Monis.

20. hxcrux

hxcrux Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update, I'm glad it'll stop being so spammy in global :)

• About Us

We're currently one of the largest creative servers available. We offer large plots, WorldEdit upon voting, roleplays, cross-server chat for communication no matter which server you're on and much more! Why not say hello to us at creativefun.eu
  • Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation

• Store

The owners and developers work very hard to make sure new features are added that will bring an enjoyable experience for all users. Support us in bringing brand new ideas and features to the server.

Visit the store